Looking down into Hebden Bridge from the hill north-east of Nutclough.
Old Town mill, as viewed from the south.
Looking south-west from Walker Lane, Chiserley.
Old Town Mill, as seen from Walker Lane.
Old Town. Walls and trees above Parrock Lane.
Old Town, looking back along the L
lane that leads to Bog Eggs. The church at Heptonstall is just visible in the distance.
Wadsworth Moor. Disused mine shaft and old buildings on the edge of the moor, east of Pecket Well.
Wadsworth Moor. A closer view of the disused shaft and old buildings near the moor.
Wadsworth Moor. Rocks at High Brown Knoll. This area appears to be popular with skylarks.
Wadsworth Moor. Approaching the trig point at High Brown Knoll from the west.
Wadsworth Moor. Rocks west of the trig point at Brown Knoll.
Wadsworth Moor, looking like an English tundra. The view southwards from Brown Knoll. One of the disused mine shafts is visible to the right.
Wadsworth Moor. Head of the Catchwater Drain, which feeds Warley Moor reservoir, over two miles away. Water from a stream enters the drain near the small bridge in the distance. The wind farm on Ovenden Moor is just visible through the mist.
Wadsworth Moor. The path descends at Low Brown Knoll, accompanied most of the way by what appears to be a dry drainage channel on the right.
Wadsworth Moor. Low Brown Knoll Hollow, looking south-east, with the stone wall of The Park estate visible to the left.
Wadsworth Moor. Two further disused mine shafts, as seen from Low Brown Knoll Hollow.
Wadsworth Moor. Looking south-east at Back Clough by the walls of The Park. The upper reaches of the Luddenden valley are in the distance.
Sheep near Ferney Lee farm, with the Luddenden valley beyond.
Midgley Moor. Marker post at Crow Hill Nook, looking west.
Midgley Moor. A closer view of the post, showing its 'broad arrow' marking.
Midgley Moor. Paved path on the Calderdale Way, looking east towards Crow Hill.
Birthplace in 1776 of 'Doctor Foster who went Gloucester'. Following a fire, this old house at High Royd is suffering gentle but inexorable decay.
Mytholmroyd. New Road, looking north beneath the railway arches. The waters from Cragg Vale flow through the arch to the left and behind the tall houses.
The path leading to Stake Lane, south of Mytholmroyd, where the groove in the stones act as a memorial to the many who have walked it.
Looking towards Hebden Bridge from Stake Lane, above Mytholmroyd.
Sheep and trees. Looking north-east from Stake Lane (021249).
Stanhope, on New Lane, above Luddenden Foot.
Looking west from New Lane towards the houses on Steep Lane.
Hard lives, hard stone. Looking north-west from within the Steep Lane chapel cemetery.
The Steep Lane Baptist Chapel of 1874. As austere as its surroundings.
Higham and Dob Lane, west of Sowerby. This house has an attractive arched window.
Dated 1623, this house is on the right hand side of Higham and Dob Lane, west of Sowerby.
Higham, a laithe farmhouse of 1856, on Higham and Dob Lane, west of Sowerby
Sowerby. A house set back from the south side of Dob Lane.
Sowerby. A house dated 1662 on the north side of Town Gate.
Sowerby. An old barn in Queen Street.
Queen Street in Sowerby. A typical northern scene; washing blows in the breeze, with St Peter's church in the background
King Street in Sowerby. The structure of this house appears to have been modified over the years, whilst the road has risen.
Sowerby. St Peter's church viewed from the west.
Sowerby. St Peter's church, south side. An aircraft is flying above.
Sowerby. The Church Stile Inn, as seen from across the churchyard.
Sowerby. St Peter's church tower, viewed from the north side.
Sowerby. St Peter's church, viewed from the north.
Sowerby New Road, looking west. The area, although rural, contains numerous farms and houses.
Sowerby New Road, looking north-west along the valley, where railway and river run in close proximity.
Sowerby New Road, looking north-east towards Sowerby Bridge, with mill on the left, the dome of the old Town Hall in the centre and the mill chimney on Town Hall Street to the right.
Sowerby New Road, looking north to the back-to-backs on the opposite hill in the vicinity of Hollins Lane.
Sowerby Bridge. Town Hall Street, looking across the River Calder towards the old Town Hall building.
Sowerby Bridge. The Old Town Hall. The stonework is of a very high quality.
Sowerby Bridge. Old mill chimney on south side of Town Hall Street.
Sowerby Bridge. An old doorway on the north side of Wharf Street.
Sowerby Wharf. Sculpture of a man and boy operating a lock gate.
Sowerby Wharf. The lower lock gates
Sowerby Wharf. The upper lock gates.
Sowerby Wharf. Looking north across the basin at its western end.
Sowerby Wharf. Bronze plaque on the No 4 Warehouse, located towards the eastern end of the basin.
Sowerby Wharf. Innovative external lift on the No 4 Warehouse, cleverly linked to the original loading bay doorways.
Sowerby Wharf. View to the north across the basin from behind the No 4 Warehouse.
Sowerby Wharf. Modern windows on the east side of the Salt Warehouse.
Sowerby Wharf. Looking west through the arch in the Salt Warehouse.
Sowerby Wharf. Bronze plaque on the Salt Warehouse.
Sowerby Wharf. Looking east along the north side of the basin.
Sowerby Bridge. Disrespecting your ancestors. A disused chapel cemetery on the south side of Bolton Row.
Sowerby Bridge. Elegant old chapel, now an art gallery, on the south side of Bolton Row.
Sowerby Bridge. Disused gate and access steps to the old school above the Wakefield Road.
Sowerby Wharf, looking west from the junction of the basin and canal, with the No 4 warehouse in the distance.
Sowerby Wharf, looking west along the basin with the Salt Warehouse to the left and The Moorings pub beyond.
Sowerby Wharf. Iron drain cover.
Sowerby Bridge. The mill chimney in Town Hall Street.
Sowerby Bridge, north side of Town Hall Street. Detail of carved ornament on a shop front.
Sowerby Bridge. Geese and goslings by river at north-east corner of the bridge carrying Town Hall Street.
Sowerby Bridge. Looking north from Victoria Bridge to the bridge carrying Station Road. The buildings to the right are part of the open market.
Sowerby Bridge. Old coal chutes in Station Road. The actual chutes have been removed but holes in the stonework show their locations.
Sowerby Bridge. A collapsed wall in Station Road lets you see the chutes in detail. A special railway siding to the south of the main line was used to reach the chutes.
Sowerby Bridge. The railway station buildings, now disused.
Sowerby Bridge. Looking east along the railway line towards the tower.
Looking down onto Midgley Road, with Ewood Hall on the left.
Ewood Hall, on the Midgley Road. It has the TR mongram, common to many of the buildings in the area.
Buildings on the south side of Midgley Road, with the TR monogram on the gable end.
Looking west along Midgley Road. All of the buildings in this area seem to have been constructed at the same time, many bearing the TR monogram.
The path descending towards Brearley, with Brearley Wood to the far left (026262).
Bluebells below the path leading down to Brearley (026262).
Bluebells and blue smoke. On the path leading down to Brearley (027262).
Weir, east of the bridge at Brearley.
A cat relaxes on a wall below Little Scout Farm, south of Brearley.
Mytholmroyd. The horse drinking-trough, erected in 1921.
Wadsworth Moor. A sheep on the slope below Cock Hill.
Wadsworth Moor. Looking west towards Stoodley Pike.
Wadsworth Moor, looking south.
Wadsworth Moor. A disused quarry on the west side of Deer Stones Edge.
Wadsworth Moor, looking south from Deer Stones Edge.