Prior to the Workshop: in Broadcasting House, around 1957, Daphne Oram employs a tape loop, watched by Frederick Bradnum.
Announcement concerning the creation of the Radiophonic Workshop in the Times, dated 24 May 1958. From a picture held by Goldsmiths College.
A portrait of Desmond Briscoe, taken in 1965. He worked with Daphne Oram from the Workshop's very beginning and became the first head of the department.
The Maida Vale studios, as seen from the north. The structure is essentially of steel, set in the ground and with an Edwardian stucco frontage. The Workshop occupied several rooms at the front, to the left of the entrance, as well as others in the centre of the building.
An outside view of the Maida Vale stuidos in the early seventies. Originally a roller-skating rink, it was later adapted by the BBC as a studio complex.
The corridor in Maida Vale. Each studio had a blue light to indicate the area was powered, as well as a red light to warn that a recording was in progress. These lights can be seen by the doors on the left-hand side of this picture.
An early picture, taken on the 13th of May, 1958, looking through the window of Room 15 towards Rooms 13 and 14. The room on this side is the recording area, complete with microphone and actor. In the distance there's Desmond Briscoe with a tape loop, with a Motosacoche tape machine beyond him, 'Dickie' Bird the engineer, preparing to record the next sequence, and producer Donald McWhinnie, in charge, standing in front of a Ferrograph recorder. Daphne Oram is at the controls of the 'Albert Hall' mixer, on top of which there are a pair of Programme Effects Units (PEUs), which were very effectve top-cut/bottom-cut equalisers. Note the flowers on the loudspeaker.
Donald McWhinnie listens to a montage of electronic effects as Desmond Briscoe operates filter units, along with the wobbulator controlled by Daphne Oram. Artificial reverberation is being added by Richard Bird, who's adjusting the reverberation time.
Rooms 13 and 14 in 1961, with a pair of monstrous Motosacoche machines. The equipment in the bay to the left provided reverberation, whilst the tape recorder to the extreme right is an early Ferrograph.
Rooms 13 and 14, also known as Workshop 1, looking south towards the small studio in Room 15, which is behind the window to the right of centre. A Ferrograph tape machine and the Philips recorders in their trolleys can be seen in the distance on the left.